Wednesday, April 15, 2009

So Simple And Yet So Ingenious

The other day I was in Whole Foods looking for something to make for dinner and I happened to take a trip down the freezer aisle. Although I had no interest in buying any desserts that day, something new caught my eye. I saw these "QB's" staring at me from inside the freezer case. A block of ice cream surrounded by a crispy rice treat. A ton of thoughts flooded my brain: "Why hasn't anyone made these before? Will they be any good? Why the hell are they called QB's? I have to buy them." Soon, they were in my cart and on the way home with me.
That night, after dinner, we broke them out. On first look, I was slightly disappointed by their size. They only come 4 in a box, and they are each about 1.5 inches on a side. However, what they lack in size they make up in taste. No, this isn't a gourmet snack by any means, but it is exactly what you would expect. The crispy rice treat is soft, crispy and full of marshmallow flavor - like the ones you used to make as a kid. The most surprising thing of all was that they didn't taste or feel stale in the least. I expected them to have more a an "old Rice Krispy Treat feel." The ice cream (I've only had the chocolate flavor - they come in vanilla and strawberry as well) was nothing special, but it suited the treat perfectly. It was a fine milk-chocolate based ice cream. Anything more would likely be too sofisticated for these things.
One thing I did discover about the QB's is that they taste somewhat better if allowed to defrost slightly before eating. If you have them directly out of the freezer, the ice cream is a little too hard.
I did find the "all natural" slogan on the box a little amusing, because when you eat them, they fell anything but natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment